Mike and Paul Lillywhite’s father and uncles took over Queen Street Engineering works from former owners Bob & Danny Wheatley in 1949.
The picture on the right was taken around this time and shows the owners and staff. Things were a lot different in those days and many general engineering jobs were undertaken using a belt driven lathe, drill and lawn mower cylinder grinder, as well as car repairs and boat engines from the Parham’s yard across the road.
Davis bakery’s shop stood where the existing front office and part of the workshop are now. Parts were often delivered to Emsworth from Chichester and Portsmouth by bus, in a compartment behind the driver, and then collected from the station. The workshop heater was waste sump oil burning stove with a large honey- combed tower. Often, during the winter, tins of soup were warmed in the block – hopefully holes were pierced in the can to avoid explosion and cars being covered!
The car electrics would be checked with an Avo volt & amp meter, cars were serviced every 3,000 miles. Servicing involved things like fuel bowl cleaning, tappet adjustment, plugs, contact points and lots of grease nipples! There were no cam belts, but cylinder head decokes were common.
Tyres were changed with levers and a rubber mallet without balancing – cars probably weren’t fast enough to notice.